Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cube not showing up in Metadata Browser

I have a cube that is processed, available, browsable, etc., but that does not appear in the list of available cubes in the following scenarios:

Open a new MDX Query window in the Managment Studio: the Metadata browser displays the error message "Error loading Metadata: No cubes were found.", Yet I can still write a query and execute it against the cube.

Use excel and try connecting to the cube using the "Data", "Import External Data", "New Database Query", "Olap Cubes","<New Data Source>", create a new "MS OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services 9.0" data source pointing to the server/database, and no cube names show up in the cube drop down.

Proclarity 6.1: same problem: cube shows as not processed or unavailable and I can't connect to it.

The cube works great with the Excel Cube Analysis Add-in, so I'm suspecting it is one of the new features of AS 2005 that is causing the problem. I am using Many-to-Many dimension relationships in the cube, and mutiple measure groups. Other than that, the cube is pretty straight-forward.

Any ideas on what would make this happen? I've tried deleting the cube from the server and completely redeploying the project, changing the cube name to not have a space in the name and a few other simple things.

Regards,

Clayton

This has to fall into the "bonehead" category.

The cube's "Visible" property was set to "False". Not sure how this happened, but for the record, the solution is to set the "Visible" property to "True".

|||I don't know about "bonehead." I spent 4 hours with this exact same problem. Not until I found this post did I think to view the cubes XML and change <visible>false</visble> to <visible>true</visible>. I mean, is there even a way to change this property though the designer? I just about went crazy. Thanks.|||

hello,

yes, if you open your project in BIDS, and open cube designer, look in the properties panel - it should show the cube and one of the properties listed in there is Visible (in the Advanced category).

hope this helps,

|||I did the same thing. I think what we all have accidentally done was select a dimension that we wanted to hide then went to the properties window to set the Visible property. What I just noticed is that if you click on on one of the dimensions while on the Cube Structure tab the properties window does not change to the dimension and the Visible property on the cube gets set to false accidentally. At least that how I ended up doing it. I hope this helps someone else realize how it happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment