Friday, February 24, 2012

Cube Calculations and Report Model Problems

Hello all,

I understand this is an Analysis Services board, but due to the topic, I thought it would be as good of a place as any. I have also cross-posted to the reporting services group.

I've been working with SSRS for a year and a half now, but I am brand new to SSAS. I've gone through tutorials and did as much reading as I could.

The underlying data I am using is similar to the following:

Shift_Start Shift_End Machine_ID Breakdown_Min ... Quality_Pct
1/1/2005 7am 1/1/2005 5pm 535 120 .55

As you can tell, we have one record for each shift. This stores breakdown minutes (as well as many other additive measures). As it stands now, we've also stored percentages in the table (although this could be removed and calculated within the cube).

Because the percent won't add up across dimensions, I removed that measure and created a calculation. This calculation does the work necessary to come up with the percentages. I have no problems using the calculations in the cube browser.

This is where SSRS comes into play. I created a data source to point to the cube and generated a data model. I then used the Report Builder to create a report based on this model.

My problem is that I cannot see the calculations I defined. As I see it, mabye the report model isn't completely integrated with analysis services cubes yet? Has anyone else noticed this behavior and/or has anyone found a solution? I hope it is as simple as me missing a setting...

Thank you for taking the time...

Regards,

Dan

I hate to break it to you Dan but I think you will need to figure out a different way of doing it... here is some discussion about using Report Designer but I think the same would apply to Report Builder:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=64253&SiteID=1

The gist, I believe, is that you can use Calculated Measures but not Calculated Members. The other limitations on the Query, ie only measures on the columns is a real pain too. Oh well maybe it will be fixed in a service pack one of these years...

Sorry 'bout that =/

No comments:

Post a Comment