Friday, February 24, 2012

Cube DDL reverse engineer ?

Hi guys

I have built several cubes. However I would need to create local cubes from the built cubes in Analysis Services. As a result I need to work out the DDL for my existing cubes. However the cube contains many mdx calculated members. I was wondering if it would be easier to simply generate the DDL from my existing cube in Analysis Services.

Does anyone know any third party tools that I can use to reverse engineer the DDL from the built cubes in Analysis Services ?

Thanks

Tom

Why not just load it in Server Manager and tell it to Script Database as Create. That should give you the full DDL I believe.|||I want to script the cube not the sql server database.

If there is a way could you please give a more detailed description of the process.

I really appreciate it ! thankyou !

Tom|||The cube is contained in an Analysis Services database, not a SQL Server database. Or are you saying that your AS database contains multiple cubes and you only want to script out one?

Start SQL Server Management Studio
When asked to connect to server drop the Server type down and pick Analysis Services
Expand the databases node.
Right click on a database
Select Script Database as Create To

Alternatively if you want just one cube expadn the cubes node
Right click on the cube you are interested in
Select Script Cube as Create To|||Start SQL Server Management Studio
When asked to connect to server drop the Server type down and pick Analysis Services
Expand the databases node.
Right click on a database
Select Script Database as Create To
__

I've started sql server enterprise manager. When I tried to make a new registration under a sql server group it DOES NOT pick up analysis services. I know they're running on different ports why would sql server manager pickup analysis services ?

can you confirm the process please. I really can't see it working. As there's no possible way for sql server manager to connect to analysis services.

Thankyou
Tom

|||Tom,

I think I see the problem. I'm betting you are using Analysis Services 2000, not Analysis Services 2005...

With SQL Server 2005, the new management tool (called SQL Server Management Studio) replaces Enteprise Manager in SQL Server 2000. SQL Server Management Studio does indeed have the ability to connect to Analysis Services as well as SQL Server. And it has the ability to script the DDL for an entire Analysis Services 2005 database as well as any portion thereof.

However, since you are likely using Analysis Services 2000, this won't work for you. If you need to generate the DDL to create a cube, you'll have to look to some third-party tool options for this as Analysis Manager does not have the ability to generate DDL. Take a look at the short list of options mentioned on Mosha's website at http://www.mosha.com/msolap/util.htm#Metadata. This should at least give you some ideas and options...

Dave Fackler
|||thanks for that at least now I have a good idea what the other person's talking about

Thanks
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment