Friday, February 24, 2012

Cube deployment issue SSAS 2005

Hello all,

I got an issue with deploying my cube. I am new to SSAS 2005, and I cannot find the option to define which account to use with deploying. I managed to choose the server for deployment, but strangely enough, no user can be selected, so when it deploys, it throws an error stating the standard windows login isn't valid (wich is correct, but I do not want to use standard windows login).And why do I have to use a local windows user account? Why can't the account from my server?|||The only thing I can find wich is remotely connected with this problem is the following:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166576.aspx

But nothing about a login or something like that.
Please help, I am totally clueless.|||From your description it is not clear to me what exactly you are doing and what is happening. Can you please decsribe it in more detail, and also provide the exact error message you get. Thanks.|||

I made a database + tables, I defined it a data source in Visual Studio/Business Intelligence/Analysis Services, made a view, and then I defined a simple cube. In AS 2000, I only needed to process the cube. But in 2005 I also need to deploy it. Then it gives an error that it doesn't reckognise the user (wich is a local windows user). Of course it needs to be a SQL Server user (I made an account in SQL Server 2005). I cannot find anywhere where to define the user for deploying the cube.

Thanks in advance.

|||

SSAS does not use SQL Server accounts for authentication. It only uses Windows accounts. This is why there is not where to specify a particular user as it always uses the current windows account. When you are setup using a domain this is not an issue as everything can be specified in terms of domain accounts.

In your situation it sounds like you have local accounts on your workstation and on the server. In this case what you have to do is to set up an identical account (same username and password) on both your workstation and the server. Then when you connect to the server you will effectively be "mapped" onto the local account on the server. So you will need to make sure the account on the server has the appropriate priviledges to deploy databases.

|||That sounds like a workaround.

I rebuilt the cube under the new account, and now I got exactly the same failure as the following:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=239828&SiteID=1

(and yes, I've altered the 'localhost' to the appropriate server running sql server 2005)|||

It could be seen as a work around, but it is the only way I know of to authenticate when you are not using a AD domain.

It sounds like you are having connectivity issues, possibly caused by a firewall or something. There is a great article on diagnosing connection issues here http://www.sqljunkies.com/WebLog/edwardm/archive/2006/05/26/21447.aspx

I am suspicious that there may still be an underlying connection issue here. If you have the sample Adventure Works database you could use that to test that you can connect and query it. If you don't want to install the sample, would it be possible to copy the project files to the server and try to deploy the project locally on the server? If you can get this to work it would eliminate actual deployment issues and identify if we are dealing with a network connection issue.

|||I have watched the firewall, and the port configuration seems to be okay. The connection is closed abruptly. (FYI, I use ISA2004, and port 2382 is open, 2383 I do not get opened yet, but it isn't accessed either)
The error message is:
Error 1 The project could not be deployed to the '<server>' server because of the following connectivity problems : A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running. To verify or update the name of the target server, right-click on the project in Solution Explorer, select Project Properties, click on the Deployment tab, and then enter the name of the server. 0 0
(<server> is either localhost, or the server running SQL Server 2005 + AS2005)
The MDX application wich came with AS2000 connects fine to AS2005.
Unfortunately, to set it up via http is not an option in my case.
Could anyone give me a link to where I can find out how and where AS2005 stores cubes etc?
My gratitude is yours.

Regards,

Eyso|||

The fact that you are seeing a connection on port 2382 suggests to me that you might be using a named instance (eg. <server>\<instance>). If this is the case, it will not use port 2383 and unless you have set a specific port for that instance you will not necessarily know which port is being used. With a named instance the client connects to the SQL Browser service on port 2382 to ask it which port the particular instance is listening on and the tries to use that port. If this is the case it sounds like you might want to set a specific port for the instance to use so that you can open up that port in your firewall, by default a named instance will just search for a free port number each time it starts up if one is not specifically set.

> The MDX application which came with AS2000 connects fine to AS2005.

This is unusual if you are getting "A connection cannot be made" errors - as they use the same sort of connection, its just the commands that are sent over the connection that vary. Are you using the same server name in the MDX Sample as in the deployment options in BIDS? I would expect a different error from this, but are you sure your user has the rights to deploy a database?

> Could anyone give me a link to where I can find out how and where AS2005 stores cubes etc?

The "where" is easy, there is a data directory set on the server and if needed you can override this on a partition basis. As to the "how" they are stored in a proprietary format I don't believe there is any public information on this (any you really should not need to know). All your access to SSAS should go through one of the documented API's - XMLA, AMO, ADOMD, ADOMD.NET etc.

|||Well, I made an account in SQL Server 2005 with the same name (as windows login) to my network account, and I open BIDS with my normal account, then if I want to deploy it, I get the following error message:
Error 1 Either the '<usergroup\username>' user does not have permission to create a new object in '<server>', or the object does not exist. 0 0
While it does exists, and I gave it every permission possible.
(as suggested in this thread: https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=398382&SiteID=1).|||Great.
Now I try to add securables to that account, run it as a script. Server Management says script has executed succesfully, but when I click again on the account, nothing has changed.
If I try to deploy the cube, nothing is being written in the logfile of SQL Server.|||Hm, if I try to add the server to 'servers' (BIDS -> Tools -> Add server), it doesn't seem to reckognise SQL Server 2005. Though it does reckognise SQL Server 2000, wich runs on the same server.|||

Eyso Zanstra wrote:

Well, I made an account in SQL Server 2005 with the same name (as windows login) to my network account

No - SQL Server accounts have nothing to do with Analysis Services. You can uninstall SQL Server completely and still run Analysis Services.

If you are logging into a windows domain you must setup that network account with administrative rights in order to be able to deploy a new database. You got me chasing down the wrong path when you started talking about using a local windows account earlier in the thread, and I assumed that you must have been running in a workgroup or using a novel network. if you are logged in to a windows domain you cannot map to a local account on the server - you can only assign the rights to the network account.

|||Thanks, that answers my question about how these cubes are being stored. :-)
Is it suffice when I get those rights only on that particular directory where the cube is stored?

No comments:

Post a Comment