Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cube History

I am trying to build a cube to monitor the sales performance. My measure is the sale amount. My dimensions include 1) Time 2) Sale hierarchy (salesman, sales office, region), and 3) Product Line. The problem I have is that when the salesman move from one office to another, the sales occured before this movement should continue to be credited to the old office. Only sales happen after the movement should be credited to the new office.
How should I implement the cube to achieve this effectively? We have more that 40,000 sales, about 500 offices, in the company to monitor. So I don't think keeping a copy of the sales hierarchy whenever there is a change is feasible.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.You will need to Consider creating another dim for salesman.

you apear to need to collect when an employee was at a particular site for a particular sale so you will have to add a location value to each ORDER and not rely on the salesman's location. it has to be tied to the sale itself so the location attribute should be derived for the order

if this is a seldom problem you may want to make your cube holap (part relational and part cube)instead of pure olap and then you can use the drill down feature for a particular sale or set of sales to find the distinction between sites.|||Thank you very much for the information. I can see how that will fix the problem. However, I am not sure how to make the drilldown work using holap as you have suggested. Could you please elaborate it a bit about your last paragraph? Thanks. Sorry, I am new in the DWH field...|||check out those topics in BOL for analysis services
i will try to reply later

No comments:

Post a Comment