Friday, February 24, 2012

Cube data storage location

Hi -

What level of storage locations we can define in SSAS database e.g. Can we define a separate location for these SSAS ojects.

Instance

Database,

dimensions

Measure Gruop

Measure

Partitons

We do want to store cube database in root data folder.Can some one gide me on this, how to do this. Appreciate your help.

You can set a per instance data folder (indeed each instance will have it's own install folder and the data folder is under that by default). But below that, although you can set the storeage location for cubes and measure groups, these settings pretty much just serve as the default for any new partitions that are created. It is really only at the partition level that you have granular control over where the data is stored. Even then this is really only worth changing if you want to spread your data across mulitple disks. If you are not doing this I would recommend that you just stay with the default folder structure.

I believe that the metadata for databases cubes and measure groups (which are quite small) are all stored in the data folder for the instance along with the dimension data and metadata.

On my laptop I have configured the default folder for my instance to a folder outside of "program files", but I have left everything else at the default settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment